Caramelised Onion Sausage Rolls Recipe
Caramelised onion sausage rolls; deliciously crisp all-butter puff pastry wrapped around peppery caramelised onion sausage filling. Recipe courtesy of Kelly Cletheroe of Maverick Baking.
While the Great British weather isn’t always reliable, party food like sausage rolls never fail! The cold UK weather might not be great for getting the barbecue out just yet, but nothing is stopping you from enjoying the last few weeks of the footie season from the comfort of your couch.
Grabbing a hot meat pie and a cup of tea is a football tradition in this country, from the North of Scotland to the South of England. Unfortunately, we can’t always enjoy this treat when we watch the match from home, but that doesn’t mean we can’t have something just as tasty!
This recipe for caramelised onion sausage rolls is so easy to throw together and is absolutely perfect for having friends or family over to watch the last big games of the football season. Not to mention they taste just as good as a football ground pie, and miles better than the regular cheap shop-bought variety.
Rather than buying those sausage rolls from the shop, cheat a little and use shop bought puff pastry, chutney, and sausages to make these incredibly addictive flaky caramelised onion sausage rolls! Crisp, flaky pastry wrapped around a peppery caramelised onion sausage meat filling, these are so good, you’ll want to make a double batch!
Throw some cute little footie decorations from Partyrama on your table, hand out some napkins and paper plates, and get stuck into these wonderful homemade sausage rolls.
Sausage Roll Ingredients:
- 400g your favourite pork sausages (around 8 sausages)
- 2 tbsp caramelised onion chutney
- ½ tsp English mustard
- 1 block or 1 sheet of ready-made puff pastry (around 300g-400g)
- 1 egg, beaten
1. Preheat your oven – 200 degrees for conventional ovens or 180 degrees for fan ovens – and line a large baking tray with greaseproof paper or tin foil.
2. Peel the skins off your all sausages and place the meat into a large bowl.
3. Add the mustard and onion chutney.
4. Use your hands or a metal spoon to thoroughly mix it all together.
5. If using a pastry block, place it on a lightly floured surface and roll it out into a large rectangle that is around the thickness of a one pound coin. If using a sheet of pastry, unroll the pastry and place it on a surface that has been sprinkled with flour.
6. Slice the sheet of pastry in half lengthways so you have two long rectangles of pastry.
7. Divide the sausage meat in two, and use your hands to form two logs of sausage meat in the centre of each pastry strip. Don’t worry if it’s a little messy!
8. Crack your egg into a small bowl or mug and beat it with a fork until the yolk and white are combined.
9. Brush this egg mixture along the four edges of each of the pastry strips.
10. One at a time, fold one side of each pastry strip over the top of the sausage meat lengthways until it meets the pastry edge at the other side. This should give you two logs of sausage meat wrapped in pastry.
11. Use a fork to press down and seal the edges of the pastry together. Again, don’t worry if it’s a little messy, it will taste divine!
12. Use a knife to slice each log into 6-8 pieces.
13. Use a sharp knife to cut 2 slits into the top of each sausage roll, this helps any steam escape.
14. Brush over the pastry with a little more beaten egg, this helps give it a nice colour when baked.
15. Place your 12-16 little sausage rolls onto your prepared baking tray.
16. Bake for 30-35 minutes in the preheated oven until golden brown and cooked through.
17. Allow the rolls to cool for a minute or so, you don’t want to burn your mouth!
18. Enjoy as a tasty snack while you watch the match!