Spiced Vanilla Glazed Rum Cake Recipe
Spiced Vanilla Glazed Rum Cake; soft, moist spice cake laced with spiced rum and drizzled with a thick vanilla rum glaze, a deliciously boozy treat, perfect for a pirate feast! Recipe courtesy of Kelly Cletheroe of Maverick Baking.
The 19th of September marks the return of “Talk Like A Pirate Day.” This fun little calendar appearance is a great one for the whole family to partake in, mateys!
When one thinks of pirates, it’s hard not to then think of peg-legs, eyepatches, parrots, cutlasses, and most importantly grog – or rum! While you might not feel committed to the full fancy dress efforts (though if you do, Partyrama offer a great range of products), you may still feel like celebrating with a nice bit of cake.
This simple but delicious Spiced Vanilla Glazed Rum Cake is perfect for this fun occasion. A nice, soft, moist cake gently laced with spiced rum, and topped with a sweet vanilla rum glaze, it’s hard to resist! The alcohol in this cake is almost certain to cook off in the heat of the oven, however if you are baking or eating with children and/or want to steer clear of the booze, just replace the rum in the cake and glaze with some nice ginger beer to keep up the spicy, exotic Pirate theme.
You can enjoy this cake sliced up as an afternoon treat or you can eat it warm, with or without the glaze as a comforting pudding. Either way, you’re sure to love the rich, Caribbean inspired flavours of dark brown sugar and warming spices.
Serve up this cake on some fun Partyrama pirate plates, on a pirate table cover, with pirate napkins and some fun colourful cutlery to really embrace the occasion. Kids and grown-ups alike can enjoy all the fun of pirate life, without the scurvy, arrrrggh!
Ingredients for the cake:
- 300g soft butter or margarine
- 275g dark or light soft brown sugar
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 5 eggs
- 300g self-raising flour
- 1 tsp ground cinnamon
- 1 tsp ground mixed spice
- 125ml spiced rum (use less or simply replace with ginger beer if you are feeding children)
Ingredients for the glaze:
- 200g icing sugar
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 tbsp rum (replace with ginger beer or water if you are feeding children)
- 1-3 tbsp water (adjust as necessary for desired consistency)
- Grated dark chocolate or sprinkles to decorate
To make the cake:
- Preheat your oven – 180 degrees for conventional ovens or 160 degrees for fan ovens – and grease/line a large cake tin (at least 25cm). Bundt tins look best for this recipe!
- In a large bowl, beat together your butter/margarine, sugar and vanilla until visibly lighter and fluffier.
- Crack the eggs into the bowl one at a time, beating the mixture well between each one.
- Add the flour, spices and rum, and stir gently until everything is smooth and combined.
- Pour your mixture into the prepared tin.
- Bake in the preheated oven for 40-50 minutes until risen, golden and a skewer inserted into the centre can be cleanly removed. The cake pictured took exactly 45 minutes.
- Allow to cool in the tin for about 15 minutes before carefully turning out to cool completely on a wire rack.
- Meanwhile, you can prepare the glaze.
To make the glaze:
- In a medium bowl, simply mix the sugar with the vanilla, rum, and just enough water to create a thick, spoon-coating icing. How thin or thick you would like the glaze is up to you, if thinner it may soak nicely into the cake, if thicker it will form a bold white coating for the cake. The cake pictured had just 1 tbsp of added water in its glaze.
- Once the cake has cooled to room temperature, pour over the glaze, evenly distributing it across the top of the cake and allowing it to drip down the sides.
- Sprinkle any decorations you like on top.
- Simply slice up and enjoy!
If you you enjoyed this amazing recipe, let us know on our Instagram, Facebook and Twitter using the hashtag #partyramauk, and visit Partyrama to buy party supplies, balloons, decorations and lots more!