Cranberry Orange Christmas Muffins Recipe
Cranberry Orange Christmas Muffins; sweet, light and fluffy muffins full of zesty orange flavour and sweet, tart and chewy cranberries!
Recipe courtesy of the wonderful Kelly Cletheroe of Maverick Baking.
Seasonal oranges are a wonderful Christmassy flavour, and with the addition of sweet and sour seasonal dried cranberries, these muffins are the best way to enjoy your five-a-day this season!
Oranges, mandarins and clementines are overflowing the fruit shelves in supermarkets in December, not to mention the gloriously cheap punnets of winter’s ruby red cranberries. Obviously, you can enjoy these all fresh and juicy in their natural state, but baking them into something even tastier is much more fun, right?
Drop the heavy mince pies and all those inevitable boxes of chocolates for now, and have a go at these. Light, fluffy muffins, bursting with fresh orange flavour and chewy cranberries. Without containing loads of fat or sugar, these muffins make a perfect breakfast for you or the kids, and are just as delicious at any other time of day.
You can have these lovely little Christmas muffins baked up in less than 30 minutes, ready for friends, family, or any other annoyingly unexpected guest over the festive period. A plateful of these muffins would be a welcome little snack for Santa when he climbs down the chimney, and Rudolph will love them too! They keep well for up to 4 days in an airtight container too, meaning you might have plenty of time for those mince pies too after all!
Why not grab yourself some fun Partyrama decorations to jazz up the way you serve these lovely Cranberry Orange Christmas Muffins? Cute paper plates, table decorations, tinsel, confetti, go all out and make these a wonderfully festive centrepiece if you like.
To make these Cranberry Orange Christmas Muffins, simply follow the recipe below.
- 200g dried cranberries (you could use fresh, but these can be very sour!)
- 150g plain natural yoghurt or plain Greek yoghurt
- 2 large eggs
- 120ml vegetable oil, olive oil or melted coconut oil
- Zest of 1-2 oranges (depending on how orange-y you want them to be!)
- Juice of 1 orange
- 120g caster sugar or soft light brown sugar
- ½ tsp salt
- 300g self-raising flour (plus extra to coat cranberries in)
- Preheat your oven – 180 C /160 C fan / 350 F / gas mark 4 – and pop 12 muffin cases (festive or otherwise) into a 12-hole muffin/cupcake baking tin.
- In a medium bowl, toss your cranberries with a little flour just to coat them and then set aside This stops them from sinking when baked.
- In a large bowl, weigh out your yoghurt.
- Add the eggs and whisk until smooth.
- Pour in the oil and whisk well until smooth and combined.
- Grate in the orange zest, squeeze in the orange juice, and add in the sugar before whisking again.
- Add the flour and salt, along with the flour-coated cranberries, and stir gently until just combined, over-whisking can lead to flat, chewy muffins!
- Use a large spoon or ice-cream scoop to divide the mixture evenly between the 12 muffin cases. Place a few extra cranberries on top to decorate.
- Bake in the preheated oven for 20-25 minutes until risen, golden, and firm to touch. Don’t worry if it takes an extra few minutes, every oven is different!
- Once baked, remove the tray of muffins from the oven and allow the muffins to cool in the tin for 5-10 minutes before removing to cool completely on a wire rack, or in the chilly December breeze of a windowsill.
Sign up to our mailing list for an incredible 10% off discount code to use at Partyrama.co.uk, as well as all the latest products, news, fun and games from the party crew here on the blog!