Halloween Chocolate Fudge Slime Cake Recipe
Halloween Chocolate Fudge Slime Cake; a ghoulishly dark and sumptuous chocolate fudge cake, topped with green slime and spooky sweets. Recipe courtesy of Kelly Cletheroe of Maverick Baking.
What’s better than sweets and chocolate? Sweets, chocolate AND cake!
Cakes don’t have to be intimidating. They can be very impressive and fun, especially at this extra festive time of year, but they definitely don’t have to be scary. Well, unless you mean in a spooky Halloween context!
This recipe makes a deliciously simple and easy classic chocolate fudge cake. Rich, moist chocolate cake with a thick and almost chocolate-truffle-like ganache frosting. Are you drooling yet? This cake is wonderful at any time of year, but especially fun to conjure up as a dark and decadent treat at Halloween.
You could whip this up for a treat on All Hallows Eve, or to help use up all those leftover chocolates and sweets that the kids picked up from the neighbours. If you do have children around, they can have fun decorating the top of this dessert with all the little treats and the ghostly green slime!
To make it even more festive and fun, you can strew your serving table with some great little creepy Halloween decorations from Partyrama, such as confetti, plates and napkins. To make the Halloween Chocolate Fudge Slime Cake, simply follow the instructions below.
Ingredients for the cake:
- 200g soft butter or margarine
- 180g soft brown sugar
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 3 eggs
- 150g self-raising flour
- 50g cocoa powder
- 100g sour cream, crème fraiche or full fat yoghurt
- Pinch of salt
Ingredients for the ganache frosting and decoration:
- 300ml double or whipping cream
- 270g dark chocolate chopped up, or dark chocolate chips
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- Black food colouring
- 1 small pot of fresh custard (such as Ambrosia)
- Green or neon green food colouring
- Selection of Halloween sweets and chocolates
Instructions for the cake:
- Preheat your oven – 180 C / 160 C fan / gas mark 4.
- Grease and line two 7” cake tins.
- In a large bowl, use an electric whisk, stand mixer or just a wooden spoon to beat together the butter/margarine, sugar and vanilla until creamy.
- Beat the eggs in one at a time until smooth.
- Add the cocoa powder, flour, sour cream/crème fraiche/yoghurt, and salt and mix gently until fully combined.
- Divide the cake mixture between the two prepared cake tins and level the tops with the back of a spoon.
- Bake in the preheated oven for 25-30 minutes until risen and firm.
- Once baked, allow to cool in the tins for 10-15 minutes before removing and allowing to cool completely on a wire rack.
Instructions for the ganache frosting and decoration:
- Pour the cream into a large bowl and heat in the microwave for 1-2 minutes until hot to the touch. Alternatively you can heat it in a small pan over a medium heat on your stove.
- Once hot, add your dark chocolate and gently stir until melted and smooth.
- Stir in the vanilla, and enough black food colouring to darken the ganache to a deep black.
- Place the ganache into the fridge to chill and thicken into a frosting consistency, this should take 30-60 minutes.
- Once thickened and your cakes have cooled, it’s time to assemble and decorate!
- Place one of the cakes on your serving plate and spread over a layer of your black ganache frosting.
- Place the other cake on top.
- Spread the remaining ganache frosting all over the top and sides of the cake, it doesn’t have to be perfect, and you may not need it all!
- Mix the custard with the green food colouring until you have a vivid slimy green.
- Spoon the green slime on to the top of your cake, spreading it around to just about cover the top. Feel free to push it down the sides for a drip effect if you like!
- Now simply decorate the top of the slimy cake with your favourite Halloween sweets and chocolates to make it extra spooky!
- Slice up and enjoy!
If you you enjoyed this amazing recipe, let us know on our Instagram, Facebook and Twitter using the hashtag #partyramauk, and visit Partyrama to buy party supplies, balloons, decorations and lots more!